Board meetings are open to the public. Facebook event.
WWALS Board Members: John S. Quarterman (President), Garry Gentry (Secretary), Gretchen Quarterman (Treasurer), Dave Hetzel (VP for Membership and Ambassador), Bret Wagenhorst (Outings Committee Chair), Karen A. Rawkings (Events Commitee Chair), Chris Graham (Alapaha River Water Trail Committee Chair), April Huntley, Al Browning
- Call to Order
- Agenda Review: Additions and Changes
8 August 2014: Gretchen offered to keep the physical Secretary materials with the Treasurer’s materials until Garry returned to town more permanently. He accepted.
- Membership Committee
9 July 2014: Garry said he would finish handing over physical membership materials when he returned to Tifton for Labor Day. jsq suggested keeping the membership list in an online spreadsheet. All agreed.
- Other-Events events not covered under committees
- 14 January 2015 next WWALS Board meeting
- 27 August 2014: DuPont withdraws permit application for Jesup mine —Riverkeepers and Greenlaw -jsq
- 11 September 2014: Water issues with VA-2014-07 at Baytree and Azalea Drive in Valdosta —WWALS to Valdosta City Council –Gretchen
- Aquifer Conference, Monticello, FL, 2014-10-2,3,4 -jsq
- KLVB Lowndes/Valdosta Rivers Alive Cleanup 2014-10-04 -Chris
- 2nd Annual Flatlander Canoe and Kayak Race. -Chris
- Outings Committee
- August Alapaha River outing Some pictures online.
- 10 AM Sunday 21 September 2014 Withlacoochee and Suwannee River outing a paddling past where the Sabal Trail pipeline would cross each river, hosted by a pair of people who live nearby.
- Alapaha River Cleanup at US 82, 27 September 2014 –Bret W.
- KLVB Lowndes/Valdosta Rivers Alive Cleanup 2014-10-04 –Chris
- Alapaha Sink: WWALS Outing 2PM 26 Oct 2014
- Alapaha Water Trail Committee, aka WWALS-ART. –Chris See http://wwals.com/blog/ maps/ alapaha-water-trail/.
- Events Committee
8 August 2014: jsq asked Dave as a member of the Events Committee to ask that committee to think about two events currently pencilled into the WWALS-ART working timeline, http://wwals.com/blog/maps/alapaha-water-trail/timeline/.
- November 2014: Organizational meeting for the Alapaha Water Trail
This one may be small enough for the WWALS-ART Committee to handle, but Heather Brasell is interested in holding an event around that time frame at the Gaskins Forest Education Center.
- March 2015: Water Trail conference
Emphasizing organizing for ongoing upkeep, outreach, and expansion after establishment. Potential WWALS membership and fundraising event. 8 August 2014: Dave Hetzel suggested it would be a candidate to hold at Heather Brasell’s Gaskins Forest Research Center, and said he would ask her and that committee’s chair, Karan Rawlins, about both events.
- 9 July 2014 Karan suggested: Potential joint fundraiser with Coastal Plains Chapter of the Native Plant Society. Karan will check on whether we need a license to sell plants.
- 9 July 2014 Gretchen and Bret suggested also how about tour of gardens at UGA in Tifton. Karan will look into that, as well.
- Public Relations Committee
Current WWALS Committee with members are listed on the WWALS website under About, then under Committees, http://wwals.com/blog/about/committees/
- For PR to list an outing or event, we need to know: date, time of day, where, directions to get there written for somebody who knows nothing about it, and who’s in charge of ensuring the event happens.
- GWC PR in October
- Review Action Item List: Please send reports to the board list before the meeting.
- Business and membership cards –GG Looking into using social media advertising for targeted recruitment. Gretchen to take over issue and Garry will get thank-you cards he bought to Dave to bring to next meeting and Karan will put logos and items in dropbox.
- Request for information from DNR –jsq Development laws and regulations related to water.
- Ongoing opposition to Sabal Trail methane pipeline. –jsq
- Waycross about the Seven Out Superfund site –jsq
- Distribution of list of sites on EPA/EPD lists for counties in our watershed –jsq
- Flooding study by U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE). –jsq
- How busy everybody is
- Other Business