WWALS Board of Directors
Wednesday July 9 2014, After Annual Meeting
IHOP, Adel, GA
Board members are listed in www.wwals.net/board and may vary depending on election in Annual Meeting: Dave Hetzel (President), John S. Quarterman (VP), Gretchen Quarterman (Treasurer), Bret Wagenhorst (Recording Secretary and Outings), Garry Gentry (Membership), Karan A. Rawlins (Events), April Huntley, Al Browning, and Chris Graham.
- Call to Order, Welcome, and Introductions
- Speaker: No speaker.
- Agenda Review
- Report of Nominating Committee about officer and committee chair candidates
- Election of Officers
- Other VPs or Committees
- Menu of Opportunities for board members
Modeled after GRN example, /?attachment_id=1990
Other WWALS members please also volunteer.
- Review and Approval of Minutes
- Starting/Ending balance for June –Treasurer
- Donation Accounting –Treasurer
- National River Network membership –jsq
- Insurance: D&O and liability –jsq
Perhaps there is a better local quote.
Quote from Beehive with national River Network discount:
$805 general liability
$188 accident volunteer
$550 D&O and Employment Practices liability
$150 hired/non-owned auto liability
Can later add $650 for umbrella insurance for additional $1 million liability.
- Annual Budget –Treasurer
$2500 without staff?
- WWALS board voted April 2014 to look into raising money to hire staff. –jsq
GA River Network is prepared to assist with advice.
Likely funding needed: $50,000-$80,000 per year.
- Past Meetings and Events
- GWC meeting: The Politics of Water: Epic Battles and Endeavors to Protect Georgia’s Water, Mableton, GA, 2014-06-24 –DH
- Paddle upstream on the Withlacoochee River at GA 133 bridge, 2014-06-28 –CG
- Statewide candidates at Lowndes County Democratic Party BBQ 2014-07-02 -jsq
- Future Meetings and Events
- Peaceful Assembly at Pipeline Trial, Leesburg, GA, July 10th 2014 –jsq
- Alapaha River upstream and back paddle, put in at Gaskins Forest Education Center. 2014-07-19 –BW
Time on water: 2 hr. Tour center before or after paddle. Alternate if water too low: Alapaha River Lake at hwy 319 bridge.
- WWALS Board meeting 6 August 2014
Speaker? Location? Or by telecon?
- Georgia Water Coalition, November 2014 -DH
- Committee Reports Please send reports to the board list before the meeting if at all possible.
- Outings –BW
Draft outings schedule for next 12 months.
- Events –KR
- Membership and Recruitment
CG: $1000 for life membership and Boy Scouts?
- Public Relations –jsq jsq and CG posting on blog and FB; AH creating FB events. Send photos to Chris: firstname.lastname@example.org
See new web pages:
Floridan Aquifer /maps/floridan-aquifer/
Alapaha Water Trail /maps/alapaha-water-trail/
See also regional cooperation opportunities:
Suwannee Bioregion Coalition? /2014/06/25/suwannee-bioregion-coalition/
Our Santa Fe River and Ichetucknee Alliance for water conservation /2014/06/25/santa-fe-river-ichetucknee-alliance-water-conservation/
- Review Action Item List: Please send reports to the board list before the meeting.
- Business and membership cards –GG Looking into using social media advertising for targeted recruitment.
- Correspondence —
Panther Forum: anything happening? –GQ
- Request for information from DNR –jsq Development laws and regulations related to water.
- Gretchen filed complaint to DNR about potential violation of water. To post to board. –GQ
- Ongoing opposition to Sabal Trail methane pipeline. –jsq
See July 10th event.
- Waycross about the Seven Out Superfund site –jsq
See Test now to protect our children â€“Waycross citizens group to GA EPD http://www.l-a-k-e.org/blog/2014/05/test-now-to-protect-our-children-waycross-citizens-group-to-ga-epd.html
and Seven Out Superfund Assessment Public Meeting 2014-07-17 /2014/06/18/seven-superfund-assessment-public-meeting-2014-07-17/
- Distribution of list of sites on EPA/EPD lists for counties in our watershed –jsq.
- Flooding study by U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE). –jsq
See Videos: Regional water council meeting in Valdosta @ SSRWPC 2014-05-21 http://www.l-a-k-e.org/blog/2014/05/videos-regional-water-council-meeting-in-valdosta-ssrwpc-2014-05-21.html
- Other Business