Thousands of acres of agricultural land in WWALS’ watersheds have been bought in recent years by investors from the west coast, the most by Bill Gates. This is part of a nationwide buying spree in which Gates has bought upwards of 250,000 acres nationwide.
This issue has come to national attention:
- Bill Gates did nothing to stop fertilizer nitrates leaching into springs and rivers –Suwannee Riverkeeper via NBC News 2021-06-08
- Bill Gates, farms, rivers, springs (Vox)
On WWALS’ 2015 Goals, number 12 was: “Raise awareness about corporate agricultural land acquisitions and practices as they affect WWALS watersheds and the Floridan Aquifer”.
The most recent posts may be found by searching for Bill Gates.
- 2016-08-03: Bill Gates considered toxic to springs —Dan Hilliard
- 2016-06-20: Suwannee Farms, Lakeland Sands, and Bill Gates in Suwannee County, FL
- 2016-06-10: Antioch Cemetery in a field, Jasper, FL
- 2015-08-14: Bill Gates land purchases, Florida Springs Council, and Adams Spring
- 2015-07-01: Agricultural land bought by west coast investors
A summary of WWALS research up to July 2015.