Received 21 August 2017:
Good Morning Everyone,
This email is to inform you that the Southern Georgia Regional Commission is formally kicking off its 2018 5-year update of the SGRC Regional Plan. The initial kick-off public meeting will be held during the regular SGRC Board meeting on:
Thursday, August 24, 2017
11 a.m. or soon thereafter
City of Pearson Sports Complex and Civic Center,
786 Austin Ave East, Pearson
The purpose of this kick-off hearing is to brief potential stakeholders on the process that we will use to develop, revise and update the current regional plan, opportunities for participation and to obtain input into the proposed planning process.
Here is a brief summary of the process:
- The due date for the 2018 Update to be adopted is July 2018, therefore we are aiming to submit a final draft of the update to DCA for review in April of 2018.
- DCA is in the process of adopting new Regional Planning Requirements within the near future and we will be following the new draft guidelines for the update.
- The current full comprehensive plan plus its recent annual amendments have been formatted into the format outline proposed by
The Workbook is also on the WWALS website, with the maps pulled out as separate JPEG images and single-page PDF files.the new guidelines and is attached to this email as our draft workbook to follow throughout the update process. Copies are also available for download from our website at www.sgrc.us and our Facebook Page SGRC Information Sharing Center. A limited amount of hard copies will be available at the Board meeting on August 24th. Subsequent updates during the process will also be made available on our website, Facebook, through our email notifications and by request.
- Currently there are three stakeholder/interested party workshops scheduled throughout the Region to provide opportunities for public participation and input. The workshops are open to the public:
- September 14th, 9:30a — 12:30p, Valdosta SGRC offices
- October 19th, 9:30a — 12:30p, Waycross SGRC offices
- January 11, 2018, 9:30a — 12:30p, City of Douglas City Hall Commission Chambers.
Each workshop will review, discuss and update different areas of the current Regional Plan so we request that everyone who would like to participate, attend all three of these workshops. Additional workshops may be scheduled as needed to receive additional input. We want to make sure the final regional plan is representative of the region ants its communities so that all communities will be interested in helping to implement it.
- We will also put together a steering committee of 10 — 20 interested stakeholders who will be meeting monthly throughout the process to guide us in the development and provide feedback on intermediate drafts and the ongoing process. We will be asking for volunteers to be on this steering committee. If you are interested, please let us know.
- Please feel free to forward this email to any member any community within the Region who you feel may be interested in participating in any of the workshops starting September 14th in Valdosta. Please also feel free to forward us their email so we may include them into our email list.
- All notifications and information will be distributed electronically, so please make sure we have your correct email contact.
Please don’t hesitate to e-mail or call me with any questions. We look forward to seeing you on the 24th.
Julia Shewchuk, AICP
Planning Director | Southern Georgia Regional Commission
-jsq, John S. Quarterman, Suwannee RIVERKEEPER®
You can join this fun and work by becoming a WWALS member today!