Here is the agenda for today’s 2PM WWALS Quarterly Board Meeting. The public is invited. We will be meeting online by zoom, so you don’t even have to go anywhere.
When: 2PM, Sunday, October 18, 2020
Where: Online: see below for the zoom parameters and the agenda.
The board itself does most of its business online via email, but it’s good to have these gatherings once a quarter.
The current board members, officers, and staff are listed on the Board web page.
-jsq, John S. Quarterman, Suwannee RIVERKEEPER®
You can join this fun and work by becoming a WWALS member today!
See also PDF.
WWALS Quarterly Board Meeting
2:00-4:00 PM , Sunday, 18 October 2020
Join Zoom Meeting
ZOOM Meeting ID: 893 0802 8204 Password: 392346
One tap mobile: +19294362866,,89308028204#,,,,,,0#,,392346#
Dial In: +1 929 436 2866 Meeting ID: 893 0802 8204 Meeting Password: 392346
Budget, grants, membership, WWALS online store, contests, outings, WWALS Boomerang paddle race, Solstice Light Parade, other fundraisers, water quality monitoring, water trails, Suwannee Riverkeeper Songwriting Contest, no festivals for now, projects and programs, pipelines, LNG export, titanium mines, phosphate mines, Bill of Rights for Nature, and more.
Invited to attend: WWALS members, especially committee members, and the general public.
All WWALS Board Members are expected to attend.
The more done on the board list, the less time we have to spend in this meeting.
Board Members : for bios, terms, etc. see https://wwals.net/about/board/
- Tom H. Johnson Jr. (Chair of Nominating and Songwriting Committees)*
- Tom Potter (Senior Vice President and Chair of Science Committee)*
- Garry Gentry (Secretary and Board delegate to Advisory Committee)*
- Shelby Miller (Treasurer and Chair of Personnel Committee)*
- Dave Hetzel (WWALS Ambassador and Chair of Advisory Committee)
- Dan Phillips (Chair of Water Trails Committee)
- Laura D’Alisera (Scribe of Songwriting Contest Committee)
- Bret Wagenhorst
- Trudy Cole
* Executive Committee.
Staff: see also https://wwals.net/about/board/#staff
- Gretchen Quarterman, Executive Director (Chair of Membership, Finance, and Grant-Writing Committees)
- John S. Quarterman, Suwannee Riverkeeper® (Chair of PR and Watershed Issues Committees)
- Eileen Box (Chair of Events Committee)
- Suzanne Hall (Chair of Testing Committee)
- Bobby McKenzie (Chair of Outings Committee)
- Call to Order including welcoming guests and explaining how this meeting is conducted (anyone can speak; only board members vote; try to stick to the topic at hand). We will be using the zoom waiting room to avoid trolls, so the host will approve you after you join the meeting.
- Agenda Review: Additions and Changes
- Approve Minutes
- Vote: Approve Minutes of 12 July 2020 WWALS Annual Member Meeting
- Vote: Approve Minutes of 12 July 2020 WWALS Quarterly Board Meeting
- Vote: Record in minutes of this WWALS board meeting the Email votes by WWALS Board or Executive Committee since last WWALS Quarterly Board Meeting (see Secretary Report ).
- Next Meetings:
- Board: approve 2021 schedule of Quarterly Board Meetings and Annual Member Meeting.
- Proposal: 2PM Sunday Jan 17, Apr 18, Jul 18 (preceded by Annual Meeting), Oct 17, 2021.
- Later in the agenda, we will also see Outings Committee and Events Committee.
- Treasurer. See Treasurer Report .
- Financial Report: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1JcSPfBGRZDBPekLecAwIDxEwA75KNe3m
- Review Vision Budget https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BYbeKTGTnmFXEuBjPVI1-qHCp5v21k45_vKIMj2Rq_g/edit?usp=sharing
- Define meanings of membership levels and organizational memberships or sponsorships.
- President. See President Report.
- A timely message.
- Executive Director (business). See Report .
- COVID-19 response
- Projects and Programs. Survey – first for board, then for members.
- See also Grants Committee Report .
- Suwannee Riverkeeper (advocacy); see Report .
- Committee items for discussion or vote are in agenda; see also appended reports.
- Advisory Committee: Chair Ambassador Dave Hetzel, Board Delegate Garry Gentry. See Report.
- Events Committee: Chair Eileen Box; see Report
- Festival Booth out of commission for a while
- Booth online: https://wwals.net/2020/03/24/videos-wwals-booth-2020-03-21/
- On-Line events (quiz, facebook live, etc)
- Organize event, Natural History of the Suwannee River Basin, With Rights of Nature? Online?
- Executive Committee: Chair ex officio Tom H. Johnson Jr.; see Report
- Finance Committee: Chair Gretchen Quarterman; see Report
- Grant-writing Committee: Chair Gretchen Quarterman; see Report
- MTN DEW Outdoor Grants program: Everyone on Our Blackwater Rivers? Other?
- DNR RTP water trail sign and brochure grant.
- Georgia Power water quality testing grant.
- We need to apply for grants to get money.
- Would someone else like to chair this committee?
- Membership Committee : Chair Gretchen Quarterman; see Report
- Nominating Committee: Chair Tom H. Johnson Jr.; see Report
- Outings Committee : Chair Bobby McKenzie; see Report .
- Vote on additional Outings Committee members and new Committee Chair.
- WWALS Boomerang 2020-10-24
- Halloween Paddle with Costumes 2020-10-31
- Solstice Light Parade 2020-12-29
- “Virtual Outings” including BLRPR 2020
- Review Outings Checklist .
- Personnel Committee: Chair Shelby Miller; see Personnel Committee Report
- Public Relations Committee : Chair John S. Quarterman; see Report .
- Several press releases , news coverage.
- Much social media, the most about water quality.
- Newsletter (previously under Membership): please add to it before end of month.
- SoGaConnections, monthly.
- Science Committee : Chair Tom Potter; See Science Committee Report .
- Songwriting Contest Committee: Chair Tom H. Johnson Jr.; see Report .
- It went well at Turner Center Art Park: everybody liked it, and we did not lose money.
- Vote: appoint 2021 Suwannee Riverkeeper Contest Committee.
- Testing Committee: Chair Suzy Hall; See Testing Committee Report .
- WWALS is GA AAS Volunteer of the Year. https://wwals.net/?p=53474
- Georgia testing training schedule.
- Get data into Georgia Adopt-A-Stream.
- Florida testing training needed again.
- Trails Committee : Chair Dan Phillips; see Trails Committee Report
- Watershed Issues Committee: Chair John S. Quarterman. See Issues Report .
- How busy everybody is and how many technical difficulties.
- Executive Session if needed.
- Reconvene from Executive Session and vote on any resulting items.