Twin Pines Minerals permit applications to GA-EPD

Here are four of the five active permit applications to GA-EPD from Twin Pines Minerals related to the proposed titanium mine far too close to the Okefenokee Swamp, which is the headwaters of the Suwannee and St. Marys Rivers, and interchanges water with the Floridan Aquifer, from which we all drink. Apparently there is also an air quality permit application. Since the Army Corps has abdicated oversight of this mine, you can ask the Georgia government to reject these permits.

[Page 2]
Page 2
Figure 75: Proposed Project Aquatic Feature Impact Areas Map –Twin Pines Minerals

Here is the relevant passage from GA-EPD’s responses to my open records request. I have interleaved links to where the files for each application are on the WWALS google drive.

Here is a summary of the permit applications in the GA EPD Watershed Protection Branch:

Water Permit Status:

  1. Water Withdrawal: There is a groundwater withdrawal application for 1.44 mgd from the Floridan Aquifer. Under review.

    On the WWALS google drive: TPM Groundwater Withdrawal

  2. Industrial Stormwater NPDES…3 NOIs received: a) Saunders Mine, approved, effective August 21, 2019; b) Mineral Separation Plant, approved, effective July 21, 2020; and c) Saunders Demonstration Mine, submitted July 2020, pending technical review, will replace initial Saunders Mine submittal due to change in footprint, Twin Pines to submit NOT on initial submittal. NOTE: permittee is authorized to discharge immediately upon submittal of the NOI.

    On the WWALS google drive: TPM Industrial Stormwater NPDES

  3. Stream Buffer Variance…no permit pending. Based on the information provided so far and a site visit by EPD staff, we do not anticipate the need for a Buffer Variance.

    On the WWALS google drive: nothing, because we received no files for this one.

  4. Wastewater NPDES: Twin Pines has submitted an application for an NPDES permit. The most recent application update was received in GEOS on July 23, 2020. However, based on conversations with Twin Pines, we expect them to submit a revised application.

    On the WWALS google drive: TPM Industrial Stormwater NPDES

The Industrial Stormwater NPDES applications are available online at:; Submittal Nos. 416250, 492097, and 498472.

The Wastewater NPDES is available at the same website; Submittal No. 489912.

Also there is a Surface Mining application with the GA-EPD Land Protection Branch.

On the WWALS google drive: TPM Surface Mining GA-EPD permit application
The documents for the surface mining document are also on the WWALS website.

Later I will post some examinations of what is in these documents, but for now, see them for yourselves.

How to comment

For the requested state permit regarding Section 401 of the Clean Water Act, you can send a comment or request for public hearing to
Stephen Wiedl, Wetlands Unit,
Georgia Department of Natural Resources, Environmental Protection Division, Water Protection Branch, 7 Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive, Atlanta, Georgia 30334.

For the Georgia Coastal Management Program certification, you can send a comment to
Federal Consistency Coordinator, Ecological Services Section, Coastal Resources Division,
Georgia Department of Natural Resources, One Conservation Way, Brunswick, Georgia 31523-9600
Telephone 912-264-7218.

The public announcement says: “The applicant may also require assent from the State of Georgia, which may be in the form of a license, easement, lease, permit, or other appropriate instrument.”

You can write to your Georgia state representative or senator or governor or lieutenant governor and ask them to refuse any such instrument.
To find your legislator you can type in your ZIP code here:

The Georgia Water Coalition has provided a convenient action portal for writing to the Georgia governor. You don’t even have to live in the state to use it!

You can also write to your U.S. Representative or Senator and ask them to urge the Corps to reject this mine or at least require an EIS, like Rep. Al Lawson (FL-05) already did.

You can also write to the Georgia DNR board, asking them to refuse any such instrument.
Georgia Board of Natural Resources
2 Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, SE, Suite 1252, Atlanta, GA 30334

To submit a letter to the editor of the Charlton County Herald, you can email
Or write to your local newspaper.
You can also contact radio, TV, and of course post on social media.

 -jsq, John S. Quarterman, Suwannee RIVERKEEPER®

You can join this fun and work by becoming a WWALS member today!