WWALS will present its activities at the Tourism Authority for the most populous city and county in WWALS’ watersheds.
Where: Gazebo 2 room
James H. Rainwater Conference Center
1 Meeting Place
Valdosta, GA 31601
Who: WWALS President John S. Quarterman will speak
What: He will give the Tourism Authority Board a brief summary of what’s transpired in the WWALS world in the way of positive developments since November with this non-profit entity in its work that also benefits quality of life and tourism, including:
- BIG Little River Paddle Race
- Monthly outings, including including one on the Suwannee River August 15th and a Field Trip on the Withlacoochee River at US 84 August 28th.
- In July WWALS added the watershed of the upper Suwannee River as part of its territory, in addition to the Withlacoochee and Alapaha River watersheds, so WWALS territory now extends from Moultrie to the Okefenokee Swamp.
- The most populous county in WWALS territory remains Lowndes, and by far the most populous city in the entire Suwannee River Basin is Valdosta.
- WWALS helped organize a meeting in March 2015 for Valdosta to explain its wastewater situation to people complaining both from Atlanta and from downstream in Florida; see videos and slides. Due to the numerous complaints from Florida about the recent manhole spills, WWALS just asked for and got a followup from Valdosta about being ahead of schedule.
- At least 21 news articles lately about the WWALS petition against the Sabal Trail pipeline to the Florida Department of Environmental Protection that just got sent for a hearing. Both the City of Valdosta and the Lowndes County Commission passed resolutions against that pipeline back in December 2014.
WWALS has a dozen goals for 2015, really 13, since we approved the WRWT Committee since we adopted the goals
The WWALS monthly newsletter, Tannin Times, summarizes each month.
The Annual Reports summarize each previous year.
And the WWALS blog, facebook page, Twitter account, etc. keep the public and WWALS members up to date.
You can join this fun and work by becoming a WWALS member today!